Head of Regional Compliance - EMEA/APAC
London, England, United KingdomApply Now
Remitly is on a mission to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial products and services on the planet. Since 2011, we have been tirelessly delivering on our promises to immigrants sending their hard earned money home. Today, we are reimagining international payments at scale and building new products to create deeper relationships with our customers and their loved ones across the globe. Join over 2,700 employees across 10 offices who are growing their careers while having a positive impact on people globally.
Remitly is registered as a Money Services Business in the U.S., Canada, EU, United Kingdom, Singapore and Australia. Each of these jurisdictions require, among other items, that Remitly maintain a comprehensive Risk and Compliance Program.
About The Role:
You will contribute to Remitly's mission by ensuring that Remitly's Europe, Middle East and Asia subregion business maintains full compliance with applicable laws and regulations. You will manage a team to oversee legal and regulatory risks, using your strong analytical skills and keen eye for detail to adapt Remitly's services and controls to new business opportunities and changing regulatory requirements. You will be responsible for ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, including expectations into new countries. The position will focus on streamlining regional processes into a global format therefore reducing customer friction. This position will also be responsible for overseeing regional compliance officers, exam/audit management, business partners and functions performed by the first line of defense.
You will ensure Remitly manages the Compliance risks that it faces. You are a senior leader responsible for ensuring that Remilty operations are effective in countering the risk that our services might be used or targeted for financial crime activities.
What You'll do:
You will be an important risk management role with a broad remit and responsibilities including:
- Understand and maintain continuing knowledge of all local compliance requirements and work collaboratively to set the strategic direction for the Compliance Function, reporting to the Chief Compliance Officer.
- Deep experience in regulatory compliance, regulatory affairs, risk management or other similar role with a financial institution focusing on compliance with local laws and regulations related to financial services.
- Implement policy for compliance obligations (including AML) risk management framework to meet requirements and legislation in the region.
- Partner with colleagues within the company as well as with external stakeholders to identify and address business needs, using influence and empathy to build relationships by earning trust and confidence.
- Work efficiently and independently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, conduct/manage internal investigations and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-moving environment.
- Manage a team of regional and country compliance managers and work to coach team to take on more roles and responsibilities.
- Lead team through change management skills, including advocating, anticipating and orchestrating change. Able to foster a team culture that enables staff to achieve results in a changing environment.
- Lead the team to work with relevant contacts in business, risk and compliance functions to ensure consistent application, and implementation, and controls to evidence related AML standards, policies and procedures
- To provide strategic direction and guidance for compliance related issues including the implementation of a risk management framework
- Provide advisory services to the senior business contacts to ensure clear understanding of financial crime risk exposure for clients, transactions and products
- Engage with key regulators, law enforcement, and other government bodies and agencies on regulatory and licensing matters.
Who You Are:
Experienced Compliance Professional
- 10+ years of experience in a compliance focused role and preferably with regulatory experience; Bachelor's degree in Law, Business, Auditing or related field.
- Should have a proven record of operational leadership, delivering desired results at a consistently high standard of resiliency, performance and engagement. The person should be capable of inspiring, supporting and developing a team that is agile and responsive to change, with the skills to manage and achieve desired results in a highly dynamic environment while maintaining the highest standards of excellence despite the rapid pace of technological and regulatory change.
- Understanding of global regulatory landscape, with ability to build relationships among government agencies.
- Excellent change management skills, including advocating, anticipating and orchestrating change. Able to foster a team culture that enables staff to achieve results in a changing environment.
- Is independent, but also is able to effectively manage and develop a great team
- Is comfortable managing numerous aspects of an AML/CTF compliance program
- Work well with people at all levels inside and outside our organization
- Willingness for travel is required.
- A hunger to build a better customer experience and unlock business value
- Ability to effectively communicate requirements and urgency to business partners and influence outcomes
- Enjoy partnering with others and managing stakeholders
- Balance risk & rewards, while meeting regulatory requirements
- Strong problem solving skills that sweat the details and aim for the stars
- Ability and comfort working in white-space to create compliance frameworks and solutions
- Root cause analysis strengthened by the use data to make recommendations
- Clear communicator with key stakeholders in meetings, in policy document, and process design
- Unlimited paid time off, subject to approval
- Great compensation package
- Health insurance
- Commuter benefit
- Learn and development benefits (3000+ free online courses available)
- Corridor Travel Benefit Reimbursement
We are committed to nondiscrimination across our global organization and in all of our business operations. Employment is determined based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identification and expression, marital status, military status or status as an honorably discharge/veteran, pregnancy (including a woman's potential to get pregnant, pregnancy-related conditions, and childbearing), sexual orientation, age (40 and over), national origin, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, physical, mental, or sensory disability (including the use of a trained dog guide or service animal), HIV/AIDS or hepatitis C status, genetic information, status as an actual or perceived victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other protected class as established by law.
Remitly is an E-Verify Employer