Remitly is on a mission to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial products on the planet. For nearly 10 years, we have been tirelessly delivering on our promises to immigrants sending their hard earned money home. Today, we are proud to have served millions of customers globally with Remitly and our newly launched Passbook app to provide immigrants access to banking. We strive daily to meet our promise to our customers by building peace of mind into everything we do. Join over 1,300 employees across 9 offices who are growing their careers while having a positive impact on people globally.
About The Role
As an Engineering Manager at Remitly, you are a builder and a leader, responsible for taking on complex technical and customer problems and creating great products backed by great systems. We use cutting edge languages, tools, and frameworks to build applications and services on top of a scalable cloud architecture. Our startup work environment is fast-paced, mission-driven, and growing quickly.
A successful Engineering Manager will use their experience and vision to hire and develop a diverse engineering team, coaching the team to grow in their careers and have an impact for our customers. As an empathetic partner, they will mentor peer leaders and other Sr. technologists to model Remilty cultural values and to translate these values into their day-to-day work. Examples of high impact results from this leadership will be simple and well defined plans for both (a) our company-wide technical architecture and (b) how we deliver towards that vision.
Engineering Managers are responsible for all aspects of software development for a broad business function, working to define the best technical roadmap to simultaneously accomplish company goals, improve existing systems, and reduce technical debt. They will demonstrate a high level of partnership with Product Management, Engineering Management, and other company stakeholders, influencing strategy by representing technical options and tradeoffs from a customer centric viewpoint. They will delegate and empower employees to operate autonomously and make independent decisions, creating frameworks for these decisions where appropriate; entrusting their engineers with important aspects of the team's roadmap.
In the International Product team, we focus on executing a rapid test and learn agenda with the goal of improving our customer experience resulting in an improvement in our customer acquisition and retention. You'll be managing a passionate cross-functional teams of engineers dedicated to understanding our customers' needs and tailoring the customer experience. Your teams will iterate and work in several systems that power multiple customer touchpoints including but not limited to react based content management platform and customer facing remittance product. You will make a meaningful impact every day on both our customers and our business.
To succeed in this role, you should enjoy being in a fast-paced startup environment and working hands-on with others across the company. You have the desire to continuously improve and grow your skills and scope or influence.
Some examples of current interesting problems include:
- Building APIs, services, mobile, and web applications for our next-generation customer experience.
- Build resilient systems to detect and respond to external system outages
- Advocate for the engineering team on company wide audience
- Manage the system of work of 2 product teams
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree or experience
- Typically 8+ years of experience
- Typically 1-3 years of experience in a technical leadership role
- Typically 1-3 years experience leading core engineering efforts / technical teams
- Experience defining and influencing technical designs and processes across a team.
- A deep understanding of software development practices, system design, software design patterns, and algorithms.
- Experience working with teams shipping full stack features or products
- Interest in front-end and mobile app development, especially in following technologies: React, React Native, TypeScript.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience building diverse, empowered teams
- Product oriented, data driven mindset
- Health/Dental Coverage - LUX MED VIP
- Life Insurance
- Multisport or EdenRed
- Education / Conferences Budget
- Equipment of your choice
- Standing desks
- Unlimited paid time off
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal employment opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Remitly. We are committed to nondiscrimination across our global organization and in all of our business operations. Employment is determined based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identification and expression, marital status, military status or status as an honorably discharge/veteran, pregnancy (including a woman's potential to get pregnant, pregnancy-related conditions, and childbearing), sexual orientation, age (40 and over), national origin, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, physical, mental, or sensory disability (including the use of a trained dog guide or service animal), HIV/AIDS or hepatitis C status, genetic information, status as an actual or perceived victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other protected class as established by law.Remitly is an E-Verify Employer