Remitly is on a mission to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial products and services on the planet. Since 2011, we have been tirelessly delivering on our promises to immigrants sending their hard earned money home. Today, we are incredibly proud to have served millions of customers globally with Remitly and our newly launched Passbook app to provide immigrants access to banking. We strive daily to meet our promise to our customers by building peace of mind into everything we do. Join over 2,200 employees across 8 offices who are growing their careers while having a positive impact on people globally.
About the Role:
We're searching for an experienced data scientist to join Remitly's Lending team, reporting to our Director of Lending Analytics. You will research and develop novel ways of underwriting customers for new financial products. You will also shape how we measure portfolio risk and propose interventions for our credit portfolio to stay within our guard rails.
You will accomplish this by partnering with engineering, product, finance and legal teams to guide decisions and shape our product structure and roadmap. This is a unique front seat opportunity to shape the customer experience for new products and help Remitly continue to grow.
- Create rules and model-based policies of assessing consumer credit and fraud risk for new financial products
- Identify and extract value from internal and external data sets to improve our underwriting
- Design experimentation/roll-out plans for measuring and iterating on underwriting for new products
- Develop credit portfolio risk metrics to guide and recommend policy interventions to stay within risk targets
- Create and communicate credit performance metrics across markets and products
- Advanced degree in technical field (quantitative economics/finance, engineering, science)
- 5+ years of experience in a data science or applied quantitative research
- 2+ years of experience building underwriting systems
- Broad knowledge in applied predictive modeling, including commonly used ML/stats approaches (linear and logistic regression, tree based methods, etc.)
- Experience mining large alternative data sets to improve predictive models
- Expertise with SQL and a scripting language such as Python/R
- Facility with independently defining and executing on new projects end to end
- Demonstrated ability to building analytical frameworks from 0 to 1 for new products
- Unlimited paid time off
- Health, dental, and vision benefits + 401k plan with company matching
- Company contributions to your HSA or FSA plan, if you choose one
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) available for eligible employees
- Continuing education and corridor travel benefits
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal employment opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Remitly. We are committed to nondiscrimination across our global organization and in all of our business operations. Employment is determined based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identification and expression, marital status, military status or status as an honorably discharge/veteran, pregnancy (including a woman's potential to get pregnant, pregnancy-related conditions, and childbearing), sexual orientation, age (40 and over), national origin, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, physical, mental, or sensory disability (including the use of a trained dog guide or service animal), HIV/AIDS or hepatitis C status, genetic information, status as an actual or perceived victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other protected class as established by law.
Remitly is an E-Verify Employer
Compensation Details. The starting base salary range for this position is typically $120,000 - $150,000. In the U.S., Remitly employees are shareholders in our Company and equity is part of our total compensation plan. Your recruiter can share more information about medical benefits offered, as well as other financial benefits and total compensation components offered with this role.